pocketdragonheaven.co.uk Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stories behind the Pocket Dragon Figurines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Pocketdragonheaven >Messages Home -> A LITTLE BIT OF POCKET DRAGON HISTORY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:14 pm    Post subject: Stories behind the Pocket Dragon Figurines Reply with quote

Ok everyone, I have made my first major boo-boo as moderator!!

OK, OK, stop cheering :laugh

I moved a topic and then accidently deleted it.... but as I also had it opened in another window, I have managed to save all the stories.

These stories were originally posted by Willem and Tam, but obviously my name will be attached to them now, but I dont really deserve any of the credit. :laugh

Last edited by Gordy on Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:14 pm    Post subject: Originally posted by Willem Reply with quote

For those of you who have never met Real and Muff at an Event when they tell you stories behind all the figurines or been a member of the Collectors Club who brought out the Gazette in which there were stories of them, I would like to take the opportunity to tell you some of those stories I heard or read. If you would like more of these stories just let me know and I will put 1 up every week as long as I know of anymore.

Week 1 - The story behind: Wheee..., by Muff

"When I was a child I loved going on summer vacation with my family. One of the major delights on these trips is the fact that my brother Glenn and me select our motel each night. Glenn and I had only one criterion - which place had the best swimming pool. As soon as we had checked in we'd quickly put on our bathing suits and head for the pool. Daddy would follow shortly and we'd clamor for his attention. Our very favorite part of our water play was when he'd grasp our feet and fling us up into the air so we could splash back down into the pool. I'm sure his arms ached at the end of the day, and I'm also sure he loved this time as much as we did. 'Whee...' brings back those happy childhood memories. I miss you Daddy."

Last edited by Gordy on Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 2 - The story behind: Commander Cookie, by Real

"In 1993 I created a drawing called 'Pocket Dragons in Space' for a traveling museum show sponsored by NASA. In this piece the Pocket Dragons have 'borrowed' the Wizard's cookie jar and with a few modifications turned in into a Buck Rogers-like space vehicle. Escaping the bounds of gravity, they leave Earth far behind and set off to conquer space.

Some of the brave astronauts in the drawing have taken a break from the serious business of space exploration and have discovered that cookies make great flying saucers.

Commander Cookie of the Space Patrol was taken directly from the drawing. With his pink ray gun and dealy-bobber antennas, he gives new meaning to the concept of Star Wars. And he effectively proves that there are U.F.O.'s (Unidentified Flying Oreos)!
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 3/4 - The story behind: Reading Together, by Muff

"Real and I are both avid readers, although these days he probably "reads" more books on tape while sculpting in the Studio. Still, we both have comfortable reading spots in the den and often read together in companionable silence. (Well... Real tends to interrupt said silence quite often to tell me some interesting fact or tidbit he has just come across - no surprise, I'm sure, to those of you who know him.)

Real painted a lovely wooden chest for me several years ago showing two bunnies reading together. I was lying in bed one night looking at the chest and wondered why Real had never sculpted two Pocket Dragons reading together. Voila!
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 5 - The story behind: Teamwork, by Real

" 'Teamwork' is based on an etching called 'If I Had A Hammer' produced in 1986. We've always been 'do-it-yourselfers' (well I have and I've dragged Muff along, kicking and screaming). She always gets to be the helper and I've seen the expression on her face as she holds the nail. Sometimes our projects turn out pretty well; sometimes they are the inspiration for a new sculpture. But we always have fun - (Speak for yourself, says Muff!) - or at least we learn what not to do next time.

An interesting note about this figurine is that I sculpted it to be just like the etching, with the Pocket Dragon swinging the hammer on the right side, but when I assembled the pieces, the dynamics of the sculpture were all wrong and it had no 'spark'. After much thought I simply switched the two Pocket Dragons around and the piece came to life."
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 6 - The story behind: Making Time for You, by Muff

"Of all of the cats we've ever had, Beanie was the closest to Real, spending almost every waking moment with him. Beanie's favorite spot in the world was wrapped around Real's shoulders - that is where he felt safest. Sadly, Beanie's health began to fail and after many months of trying to make him better we discovered he had stomach cancer and could not live long. Real put aside all his deadlines and devoted himself to Beanie those last few weeks.
When Beanie became too weak to go outside, Real put him on his shoulders and carried him around the garden. We fed him baby food and choice tidbits of his favorite foods. When the time came, our Vet came to our house and we took Beanie outside to one of his favorite spots (our picinic table), and he gently went to sleep under the trees.

'Making Time for You' shows something that Beanie taught Real in those last days - you can always make time for the truly important things in life...you just have to decide what they are."

'Making Time for You' was the Club Members Only figurine for 1995-1996.
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 7 - The story behind: Under the Bed, by Real

"When Flower was a very young puppy she discovered a most wonderful spot - 'Under the Bed'. This was her own private place, obviously designed for a little dog just her height - a place into which no-one alse would fit. Her toys, doggie biscuits and half eaten bones (not to mention a candy wrapper or two) all ended up here. And when we left her alone she could retreat to the safety of her dark and secure hide-out.

I often wondered what would happen if a baby dragon claimed the Wizard's 'Under the Bed' for his own special spot. Flower never outgrew hers, but a dragon might. Would he continue to sleep here, simply coming in at night and putting the Wizard's bed on his back? I think so...."

'Under the Bed' was a Limited Edition of 2500 and was introduced in January 1992 and sold out in September 1995.
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 8 - The story behind: Flannel Nightie, by Muff

"I love to sleep in flannel nightgowns when the weather turns cold (yes, I wear fuzzy socks too). I have a large wardrobe of gowns to choose from: pink ones with hearts, red and green plaid ones, blue flowered ones... because I don't like tight night clothes I always buy my nighties size XXX (the largest size available). The look is far from fashionable, but my charming husband assures me that I look "cute".

Little Flannel Nightie is me on a cold winter night. P.S.: We have learned on trips to England that the fuzzy fabric is called flannelette in the U.K. It's flannel in the U.S.

Flannel Nightie (02899) was introduced in August 1999 and retired in June 2004.
The issue price then was 11.00 GBP. She is about 2" tall (5 cms).
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 9/10 - The story behind: Bunny Hug, by Real

Tucker has been chasing bunnies for years. I sculpted Bunny Hug after an incident that happened during one of Tucker's daily adventure-times. I watched him as he crouched low in the grass, stalking his prey - a cute little bunny. Suddenly the bunny saw me and he saw Telemann, but in his hurry to hop away from us he didn't see clever little camouflaged Tucker. The bunny jumped right into Tucker's arms, bowling Tucker over backwards! Tucker, on his back, hugging the bunny tightly to his tummy, looked up at me as if to say "YIKES! What do I do now?"
"Great Tucker!" I said. "You caught him. Now you can let him go."

With a look of relief on his face he opened his arms and the bunny scampered away. Tucker got up, shook himself and started his John Wayne saunter. "I caught a bunny," he seemed to say, "I,m a clever cat. I caught a bunny". For weeks after that, whenever we went into the garden, Tucker would go immediately to that spot and start his saunter. "I caught a bunny here once," he would say. "I,m good."
Incidentally, the bunny in Bunny Hug is based on the pink plush bunny (Pinky) that Muff had as a child. Also, if you position the sculpture so that the bunny's feet touch the ground, he can run away!

Bunny Hug (10011) was released in June 2001 and retired in June 2005. The issue price then was GBP 15.00. It was a regular figurine
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:24 pm    Post subject: The following 4 posts were originally by Tam Reply with quote

THE LITTLEST REINDEER

Our friend Becky gave our dog Shelby a set of stuffed reindeer antlers for Christmas one year. Now most animals don't like to wear these funny little antlers on their heads but Shelby loved them. We only put them on her when we expected company, so she knew that the antlers meant she would be petted and fussed over and probably given treats.

This is her expression as she waited for the doorbell to ring. Becky is our friend who hosts the Christmas caroling Party every year, where she hands out jingle bells on red ribbons for the carolers to wear aroud their necks. It seemed appropriate to give The Littlest Reindeer a bell too.
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAKE YOUR MEDICINE

We are constantly asked which is our favourite Pocket Dragon and the answer has varied, depending on the mood we are in that day. In other words we have many favourites, but we now have one that without a doubt is our favourite.

You all know that by now Tucker our cat has a heart condition and has to take 3 tablets a day. We put Tucker on the stool in the kitchen for every pill, this way he knows that he is safe in any other part of the house - the pills only come on the stool.

We never call him when it is pill time because we want him always to come when we call, therfore we only call him for good things not pills and we reward him when he has taken his pills, either with playtime or a outdoor adventure(accompanied by an adult,of course).

Tucker has become a champion pill taker, he sits on the stool, clenches his little fists, throws his head back and opens wide, 'Take Your Medicine' is TUCKER.
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VAROOM

Many of you know that the love of my life is a wonderful 1955 MGTF roadster. I purchased it as a basket of parts many years ago and had it restored by a master mechanic, a 2 year project.

It is a British racing green with biscuit leather interior and burled wood dash. Every time I drive it through the hills and woods of our neighborhood I feel like im taking a mini holiday, it brings joy to my life, because I have always said that pocket dragons simply reflect my life, it seemed time that they got a MG too! This one is red and has a wind up key at the back but the driver obviously enjoys his car as much as I do mine!
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'M CRANKY

I often sit with tucker when he eats says Real. He has a habit of wrinkling up his nose when he grabs a bite of food and chews, this makes me laugh. I wanted to use this somehow, but hadn't decided how.

When a collector suggested doing a piece called I'm cranky I loved the idea and it gave me the chance to incorporate Tuckers wrinkly nose into a pocket dragon. Of course to get the feeling of crankiness I had to alter the expression on the face - but more importantly I had to use the body language to express just how unhappy this little fella was.
Diane
jammy
jammy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 18:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:laugh :laugh In the realms of things and the fact you are trying to help tidy up the board I am sure you are forgiven...but just this once. I will be deducting 25% of you wages and a forth coming slap is on the way :laugh
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 19:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to ask, how much is 25% of nothing???? :laugh
Tam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 21:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ali u little sneak x
Gordy
Bubble & Squeak
Bubble & Squeak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Tam, I knew I couldn't be trusted, lol.

This post was originally in Dragon News because this forum didn't exist at the time, so I thought I would move it, but I actually shadowed it, so then there was two, so I moved it, then there was three, then I deleted one of them and it deleted all three, so then there was none.... oopps!!!

I shouldn't be allowed so much power!!! Duh Hit
Diane
jammy
jammy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 19:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years to the day (13th Jan 2008) since the last post on this ...how sad Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pocketdragonheaven.co.uk Forum Index -> A LITTLE BIT OF POCKET DRAGON HISTORY All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: